Search This Blog

Saturday, February 17, 2007

Heading Home!

Yesterday we got the clear to go home! Last night I spent the night with him at the hospital in a mommy/baby room. Bonnie brought yummy Mexican food and we ate as we watched Stuey sleep, free of monitors and lines. Last night my sleep was fragmented but wonderful. And I think Stuey slept hard, in the peace of our room. I realized it was his first time sleeping in peace-without beeps and monitors.

Yesterday evening as I sat there nursing Stuey in the NICU, there was an admit from a life flight in the level 3 NICU, where Stuey was admitted. I watched as they brought in the "environmental Bubble" isolette and the team of nurses and doctors began their evaluation. It brought a flood of reminders of the uncertainty when I first arrived and reminded me of when Stuey was admitted. I was so glad to be at the end of the stay, and was grateful to sit there and nurse my healthy boy.

It was a tearful goodbye this morning to the NICU nurses. They are just amazing people and so wonderful at what they do. They took such good care of Stuey. I'm forever grateful to them. They made our 9 days in the NICU as smooth as it possibly could have gone.

Many people have asked if Stuey will be able to see people, and he will. Because of his course of respiratory care, the nurses encouraged me to have people wash their hands or use purelle hand sanitizer before holding Stuey. They suggested doing this for 2 months, so I"ll have purelle always handy. Hand washing is by far the largest way to avoid spreading of infection.

I head back to Kodiak this afternoon-Oh I can't wait to see Patrick and Nora. Now I"m off to pack my bags....and stare at Stuey. :)

No comments: