Search This Blog

Monday, June 18, 2012

Karluk Panoramics


Going on back to back archaeological surveys means that I never got a chance to go through all my photos from the first trip.  And so for the last few days after I got back from the second trip I have been editing photos from both trips.  I have been swamped in photo editing.  One thing I like to do right away is stitch all the photos together that were intended to be panoramic images.  I know if I don't do it soon after my return that i'll probably never do it.  The same is true of photo editing actually.  When will you ever get back to editing photos if you don't do it right away?

Anyhow, here are a few of the pretty pictures I stitched together from the Karluk River survey.  The top photo is of the lower river taken on our last evening on the river.


This is a view of the river near the Portage looking towards the Village of Larsen Bay.


Two views of different camps on the river.  We stayed a few days near the outlet to the lake and then floated down the river testing sites for the last few days.  While floating the river we had a different camp site every night.


Jill looking for charcoal in the backdirt of a test pit.  All of our testpits were in the hearths of late prehistoric houses.  The whole goal of the survey was to collect charcoal to radiometric date.  We want to get an idea of how many villages were on the river at any one moment in time.
Patrick


No comments: