Search This Blog

Sunday, March 28, 2010

The artist inside is happy.

Yesterday morning I called up Alexis to tell her about not going to Anchorage.
In the midst of being a little disappointed and trying to make the most of my weekend, Alexis asked me, "Zoya, what is something you've wanted to do for a while but haven't had a chance? Now is your chance because you don't have anything planned. How about setting up your quilting room?".

Alexis knows that I haven't quilted for around 2 years and that I've been meaning to finish the 3 projects I started. This seemed like a great idea to me--set up the sewing machine, reunite myself with the fabric I had started to work with and see where it took me. I had been hesitant to do it for the chance that my machine wouldn't work, the space wouldn't work, I wouldn't like the old projects anymore. Thankfully, none of that happened! In fact quite the opposite happened. I forgot how much I missed it!

The purr of the sewing machine, the feel of the fabric-Its like discovering a long lost friend. I went to the quilt store to buy backing for 2 smaller quilts and it was so fun to see all the fabulous fabrics and start thinking of possibilites for future quilts. But first, I'll finish the ones I've got going.

As I sat there and quilted today, I thought about where my life was 2 years ago when I finished my last quilt. Stuey was several months old, I hadn't yet opened my business. Life was busy with a toddler and newborn. It was good to put quilting aside for some time. Now I'm able to quilt as the kids race in and out playing make believe games and checking in on me. The timing is perfect. I noticed that my last 2 quilts had some very lazy errors, which I"ve had to fix, and I remember feeling "in a rush" to do them. I don't feel in a rush to finish anything now. I want to take my time and learn how to do better bindings, cleaner quilting, etc. Its all about enjoying the experience, not necessarily trying to just get a quilt done quickly. It is an art, a hobby I enjoy. There is nothing more rewarding than watching the fabrics come together.

Zoya

No comments: