Search This Blog

Sunday, March 14, 2010

My Favorite Ski Area



The last few years my favorite area to go cross country skiing is the flats and old river channels above Buskin Lake. But this year after our Biblical weather (continuous RAIN) from December right through early March I thought I would not be skiing there this year. What a change to get a week or more of cool temperatures and snow. There is now almost 2 feet of snow above the Buskin and the skiing is great.

Yesterday, Zoya & I left the kids with a babysitter and went skiing. It was snowing off and on, and the snow on the trees made it a winter wonderland.If you go far enough up the river there is a deep canyon where I have often seen mountain goats. After last fall's heavy floods I thought the river bed might be totally changed for the worse, but it seems the floods just cleared the brush off of the banks and made the skiing easier. In the past there were also a few places that never froze and were always a struggle to get past. Not this year! I think the river bed changes fixed the problems. Patrick

No comments: