Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Trunks



My lower back has been on the fritz lately - so no bending at the waist, lifting, or skiing. I can't do much, but long walks in Abercrombie Park with the doggies seems to help.

What I love about the park is the sitka spruce trees. Immensely tall trunks covered with moss and rough bark. Mossy dead limbs on the lower parts and way up high the green canopy. In the winter with all the leaves gone from the devils club, salmonberry and highbush blueberry bushes it seems you can see forever through the trees, and the trunks really stand out.

So beautiful but difficult to capture in a picture. When I try to take a picture of the whole tree the canopy and sky is inevitably over-exposed while the lower parts are under-exposed. Panoramic views seem to work the best, but they still lack the grandeur of the real thing and do not capture how tall the spruce trees really are. On my walks the last few days I tried to concentrate on just capturing the trunks.

In the top photo I highlighted the trunks against the white ice of the lake. In the bottom photo I chose a place where the nearest trunk was a good distance away and the trunks seemed more spread out - it made the trunks stand out a bit better. Patrick

No comments: