Search This Blog

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Why Blog?


Recently I got annoyed with my brother when he equated our blog with a ‘brag board’. He believes all blogs are ‘brag boards’, and implied that us bloggers would not make them public on the Internet if we were not concerned solely with our own egos. I got into a big email back and forth argument with him and the upshot is that he still believes blogs are ‘brag boards’ and I still believe they are something far more important. But I am glad I got into an argument with him because it got me thinking about exactly why Zoya and I blog. I think some of the benefits of keeping a blog will surprise the non-bloggers reading this.

The number one reason Zoya and I keep with our blog is that every 3 months we print it out into an annotated photo album. We already have 2 ½ years of photo albums documenting our kids growing up and our life in Kodiak. This is priceless. Because of the blog we write something every day or so and we think to take the time to take good pictures to document our life. We also edit our pictures every time we do a post. Only the best pictures make the blog. I am pretty sure that if we did not keep a blog we’d have a morass of unedited photos in various files of the computer hard drive and no photo albums – definitely no photo albums where every photo has some written context with it.

The number two reason Zoya and I keep a blog is to keep our family and friends updated on our life. Pretty easy to do, and I know we have some happy relatives and friends out there (just not my brother). Zoya and I certainly enjoy reading other people's blogs.

The number three reason we blog is that it is a creative outlet. The other day, Zoya and I went back and looked at our early blog entries. We were both surprised how much better our writing has gotten. I also believe our photography has gotten better. Take a bunch of pictures every day and post them on the web a few times a week and how can your photography not get better? It’s fun to create a good blog post, and exciting when someone posts a comment about it.

A related benefit is that all my photographs are far better organized. Since I am editing them almost daily I am forced to organize them better. I am also filing away the top 2 or 3 photos of every week into a set of ‘greatest hits’ files. This has come in very handy for me at work when people request photographs. I have an easy time finding the best ones. In the past I’d have to look through thousands just to find a few good ones.

But why public - Why put it out there where anyone can read it? I believe the main reason is incentive. If our blog was not public I do not think we’d have the incentive and yes, pressure, to keep it current. And I have noticed that people who keep blogs with invite only access tend not to update them quite as frequently. Another good thing about a public blog is that it is your own private soapbox. If I want to vent, or express an opinion I have a place to do it, a place where people will read it. No need to write a letter to the editor at the local paper - forced to keep it short with no photo and no guarantee it will even get printed.

Finally, I’ll be honest and admit there is a tiny bit of truth to what my brother says. Yes, I do want people to know our family is doing well and having a good time. I want that girl who spurned me in high school to find me on a google search and see that I turned out great. But what’s wrong with that? We all like to be noticed. But I think it is far more than a ‘brag board’. If I wanted to post on a ‘brag board’ I’d go to some hunting or skiing forum and post pretty pictures for my colleagues in those endeavors to ooh and ahh over. Activity specific forums are the ‘brag boards’ of the Internet - not blogs.

Photo: Koniag Peak (the highest point on Kodiak Island) and glacier from near Windy Lake, Labor Day weekend 2004.
Patrick

5 comments:

Zoya, Patrick, Nora and Stuart said...

So who was this girl who 'spurned' you in high school...? Zoya

My Little Family: said...

I would never have considered that someone would see a blog as a brag board. I see them as a forum for opinions, activities, photos, and culture. Wow, brag board just sounds so negative and I really don't understand that stance.

I got into reading blogs by searching the word "succulent" due to my life-long fascination with these plants. From there I surfed random blogs when I was home with a cold and I found yours. I love reading about people and places I know plus reading about other gardeners or quilters.

I see the blog as a community. Perhaps your brother needs to open his mind to new technology and new ways. Why is the blog any different than writing letters and sending photos to my friends. The blog is easier and as you said I feel a certain committment to keep it up to date and fresh. If it weren't for the blog, do you really feel you and I would keep in touch on a regular basis? Tell Andrew or Dickie to get over it and welcome to the 21st century, LOL.

By the way - if it's to brag why would I include things like my dog having fleas!

gypsy said...

Patrick,
I truly respect your brother's opinion but I have to disagree. I can feel your joy, happiness, some sadness, pride etc but I don't feel the strong ego thing. Your blogs are a DAILY source of joy for me. I can definitely see where your blogs are GIFTS to those of us who don't live near you. Seeing the children grow up week by week, going on your hunting, skiing or scenic tours, your museum activities and going to your parties with you is WONDERFUL! WONDERFUL! THANKs to both of you from this one "invader" of your privacy who truly feels the love that you both feel for one another, your children and your wonderful world. Just don't stop blogging all at once. We would need a slow transition so as not to go through a bad withdrawal! Much love, especially to you Patrick while this "girl who spurned you in high school" chapter wears itself out!!
CJ

Pixie said...

I am guessing there is something else underlying your brother's comments; but I haven't even met him, so what do I know.

So what if your blog is to "brag." I believe one has to click on it to read it. It's not force fed down their throats.

I have only a select few blogs that I check periodically. It's a great way to communicate with friends and share things that you can't really share over the phone or in a letter.

I started my blog for two reasons. One was to help keep my friends/ family updated on my travels and life. The other was to help remind me of where I have been and where I am going- physically and spiritually. I don't do myspace or facebook or any other of the gazillion online groups.

Your blog inspires me to keep up with mine. Not for competition but for a personal challenge. Relishing in the simple majestic beauty of snow covered mountains, rejoicing after the hard work of starting your own business, raising a family.

Perhaps, one would see that as bragging because they are not comfortable with acknowledging how another's life influences their own.

RiverWoman said...

A blog is a great way for people from your past to find you. Get in touch!

N.A.
Saltonstall family helper
Tiburon, 1966-67