Search This Blog

Thursday, October 23, 2008

First Snow and Hands on Learning




SNOW. WINTER.
"Hip Hip Hooray" Nora exclaimed in the car today as I drove her to daycare and she looked at the snow on the trees. "Daddy Happy" she said several times.
Winter has arrived, and yes-Nora---Daddy is happy. As am I. Just not quite as ready for snow as Patrick. The chill is VERY much in the air and the valleys in the mountaintops are quickly filling in.

Dicky arrived today from Maine-ready to go Reindeer hunting with Patrick, Paul Z. and Ray R (from Seward). Paul and Ray are both doctors and they don't have any idea of what they're in for, going hunting with Dicky. Dicky is KING of hypochondriac thoughts--Ray and Paul will have an intimate knowledge of Dicky's whole medical history by the time this reindeer hunt is over. It will make for good conversation around the campfire, I suppose. (oh and Dicky approves this message....he got a laugh out of it when he read the draft post last night)

They have been busy coordinating food and gear. Patrick reassured me that they will bring plenty of warm gloves, jackets, etc... He had an almost-hypothermic-moment on the last elk hunt where they were wet from rain and then it got really cold. Patrick told of how he started doing a full body shake. (This is coming from Patrick, whom I've NEVER seen get cold like that.) So they're preparing for the coldest type of weather.


HANDS ON LEARNING
Last Monday I returned from a 3 day manual therapy class in Boston that was fabulous.
The class was on cranial techniques and advanced extremities and spine techniques. With only 9 students in the class, plus the instructor, it was a perfect 3 days of lots of practice on eachother and feeling the results of our work.

A lot of the cranial spots have to do with clearing sinuses/nasal pressure, relieving tension in face/neck, alleviating headaches...so after a class like that, I"m feeling great! I had a cold when I got to the class but a full day of serious head/face work cleared it right up!

The more I learn about the body, the more I realize how much more there is to learn. Its so humbling. I become more and more fascinated and amazed by the human body, its capacity to heal and the ability for therapists to improve its healing capacity.
My new clinic is up and going and I"m loving it. I"m so excited about my job and profession and the potential my little clinic has to make people in Kodiak feel and function better!

Zoya

Photos:

Stuey and I.
Patrick taking Nora sledding this afternoon.

No comments: