Search This Blog

Friday, November 30, 2012

Right time, wrong camera


For the last 3 winters I have been trying to catch the full moon setting over Kodiak at dawn.  I would tote my big camera into work and every time I would miss the moon (click here for story).  Or if the moon was there I would have forgotten the camera.  At one point I just missed the moon by 20 minutes and then photoshopped it into the picture (click here to see).  I thought it looked pretty good but everybody at work pointed out that it was a fraud.

Anyway, today I was on my way to work and there was the moon - not quite full but pretty darn close - and it was just setting over Pillar Mountain.  I was running late, and had already passed the turn off to the bridge, but I turned around and drove out onto the bridge to take the picture.  As usual I had forgotten the big camera, but this time I think my handy-dandy point-and-shoot is almost up to the task. My old point-and-shoot most definitely could not have taken this picture.

Now to get the moon setting over Kodiak with the big camera.  Some day it will happen.  Patrick

The top picture is a pan stitched by the camera - this is a normal format picture

No comments: