Search This Blog

Monday, June 06, 2011

Back from Karluk River


Late last night we got back from our archaeological survey of the Karluk River. It took almost 2 weeks - 20 odd miles of river - and we found 24 new archaeological sites (mostly prehistoric villages) and mapped another 18 prehistoric villages. We did a lot of mapping. The Karluk River was a popular place!

More to come but I thought I'd post a photo to get things started. I chose a sunset photo over the upper Karluk River near our first camp because this survey also represents the end of a 10 year long process of mapping the sites along Kodiak's big rivers. With the Karluk River survey complete we have now finished surveying the biggest salmon rivers on Kodiak. And that is a HUGE accomplishment. We are done with the Ayakulik/Red river, Olga Lakes, and now Karluk.

So what is next? I don't know, but I do know that the sunset has come on one phase of the whole project. The mapping is complete! Patrick

No comments: