Search This Blog

Saturday, August 09, 2008

Dawn Patrol






Yup, another deer hunting post - two weeks in a row (and counting). Who's missing ski season?

On Friday, after work, I hiked up into the mountains with Gregg to fill a proxy tag. I do a lot of hunting for elders - they give me their deer tags and I give them packaged meat in return. Great example of symbiosis - I like to hunt and they like to eat meat. And I get the added satisfaction of their appreciation. It really is quite rewarding to help fill other people's larder. Nothing quite like a smile of thanks!

Anyhow, Gregg and I climbed up the mountain and glassed for deer in the evening and then camped out for the night. The mosquitoes were awful! Got up at 4:30AM and had a deer down before the sun came up. We were home by 11:00 AM - that has to be the quickest deer hunt on record.

Photos: Top - Gregg glassing for deer, spectacular views! Second photo is of Gregg relaxing in our tarp shelter. The raised walls let the sun (and mosquitoes) in. Third photo is of me and the deer we harvested. Fourth photo is of the awesome sunrise. Finally, the last photo is of me hiking home with a pack full of meat.
Patrick

No comments: