Search This Blog

Friday, August 19, 2011

All Backfilled





The digging part of the Amak Site excavation is over. We finished backfilling yesterday. And for the last 2 days it has rained hard - I am so glad we weren't trying to carefully excavate at the site for the last 2 days. Also, I must add, this is the first year that I can recall that we did not lose a single day to bad weather. So let it rain - we were done digging anyway.

Backfilling the excavation is a VERY important task. It is putting the site to rest for the year. Too often in times long past archaeologists did not backfill and would leave their excavation pits unfilled. Then the walls fall in, it looks terrible and people start to think archaeologists are slobs. I try to leave sites looking like what they did before we started to dig. This is very important to me. Anyway, it was pretty muddy on Thursday. It rained 2 inches but we got her finished. All Done. Now on to the lab work. Patrick

No comments: