Search This Blog

Saturday, May 02, 2009

Early Morning Crust Cruise in May



This morning when I woke up the yard was covered with frost. A hard freeze sets up the snow and creates a perfect crust for skate skiing on. And we still have about 4-5 feet of snow on the other side of the pass to Anton Larsen Bay. So away I went at 7:30 AM to go skiing before the crust thawed out.

It was rocket ship fast and it only took me 40 minutes to get to where it takes me three hours to hike in the summer. And since I had done a lot of climbing I went home even faster. I need not have worried about the crust softening up - it was still rock solid when I got back to the car at 10 AM. But it is something to be careful about. Last year I went too far one day and the crust did soften up before I got home. I was breaking thru and could not glide on top. It took me forever to get back to the car.

Anyway the top photo is the view back from where I got to - that's Sheratin Mountain in the distance. The bottom photo is the view up the valley where I skate skiied. A bright sunny day. Patrick

No comments: