Search This Blog

Sunday, March 04, 2012

Tour 2012



What a weekend!

Saturday 2pm: Picked Patrick up from the airport-he was flying in from Seattle from an archaeology conference.
Saturday 3:30 pm: went for a quick "warm up" ski at Hillside. I felt very stressed about which skis to use, snow conditions and the fact that I had slight pain in my right hip. I was in minor tears. Patrick re-assured me that all would be fine with wax/ski choice on day of race.
Saturday 6:30 pm: Dinnner with our cousins, Will and Beth and family friends. Beth and Will prepared an incredible spread of baked ziti, elk burger spaghetti, apple pie for dessert.
Sunday AM 9:00: 25K race start for my brother in law Todd, Step-dad Mike, Patrick and myself. Patrick locked his keys in the trunk of the rental car. Fortunately he had everything he needed for the ski race by the time the keys were locked in the car.
Sunday Noon: Race finish...Patrick skied his race in 1:36 (8th overall!!), me in 2:37 (2nd for my age group!). I felt great through the entire race and had tears of JOY at the end of the race. I've never had so much fun and felt so good doing a race!

My stepdad Mike beat me...and he had a personal best in the race as well! I am so happy for him. We both worked hard to improve our times.

Just as patrick and I boarded the airplane, the race results were posted on-line, and I found out I took second for my age group, which was a goal beyond my wildest dreams. I NEVER imagined I would place for my age group. I was so giddy with excitement the entire flight home.

Sunday 2:00 post race party at Julie and Ray's house. Hot tub, pizzas...Felt so good to celebrate the day with good friends.
Sunday 11:30 PM: Arrived Home to Kodiak. Safe and sound and overall good reports from Leona on the homefront with Nora and Stuey.

Zoya

Picture by our friend, Aubrey M. She took many photos throughout the race...more to come later!

No comments: