Search This Blog

Thursday, November 27, 2008

Occupied No Shooting


This morning I was browsing through Don Clark's old photographs of Kodiak, and found this one of an old WWII spotlight bunker out at Sequel Point in 1958. He took the picture while he was in the US Army and did a survey of the condition of WWII installations out Chiniak way. I've looked at the photo a number of times, and I think I even posted it on the blog a year or two ago. But this morning I noticed a detail that entirely changed how I view the image. If you look carefully you'll notice that someone has written 'Occupied No Shooting' on the door to the bunker.

Wow! People were living in the Bunkers and a lot of people were shooting at the bunkers. I guess not a whole hell of a lot has changed in 50 years. Fewer people living in bunkers, but people are still shooting the hell out of them. I wonder, was the resident of that bunker smart or brave? Patrick

No comments: