Search This Blog

Saturday, November 01, 2008

Snow, Skiis, Ptarmigan



I wanted to title this post something like 'The End of Hunting Season' or 'Ski Season Begins', and then talk about how it is officially ski season and how I am completely done with hunting. And I am - yet even though I went for my first ski of the seasonI also still went ptarmigan hunting. So maybe not the end of hunting - just the end of hunting large game like deer, goat and elk. Rabbits and ptarmigan on skiis are fair game and very tasty - I'll include them with ski season.

Gregg and I climbed up Pyramid to ski. I did not bother with climbing skins for my skiis and was surprised at how deep the snow is up on top. I postholed my way up while Gregg glided along on his skins. We found some ptarmigan and then skiied back down. It feels good to get back onto the snow!

Photos: Me with our harvest of ptarmigan - I cooked them up with some of Isiik's cranberry jelly, garlic and white wine. Bottom - Gregg negotiates the rocks. Needless to say, but the base is still a little thin. Patrick

No comments: