Search This Blog

Saturday, April 05, 2008

It's Officially Spring - The Bears are out!




Today I went crust cruising on my skate skiis behind Pyramid and came upon the tracks of a bear fresh out of hibernation. I actually followed his tracks back to the ravine where he had his hibernation den. It snowed yesterday and froze up hard last night - so I know the tracks are from last night. I even found a tree that he dug a hole under and slept for a while yesterday afternoon (partially snowed in tracks leading to the burrow and fresh tracks out the other side). I also know where he is right now because his tracks lead up to a copse of spruce trees and did not come out. I did not attempt to follow him into the trees.

Directly after he took his nap yesterday he relieved himself, and from the placement of his feet he obviously had a hard time getting it all out. And no wonder, it was a plug of dirt and grass! He had not gone to the bathroom since last fall! Poor guy. Patrick

1 comment:

mpfeffer said...

Patrick,

How far apart was the foot placement? Can you describe the consistency of the plug? Please provide photos.

-Tim Treadwell