Search This Blog

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Bittersweet April




I think April is my favorite month on Kodiak. The snowpack reaches its greatest depth and the skiing is at its best. And yet I know it is all about to end. By the end of the month the skiing at sea level is done and I am pretty much limited to downhill skiing. By the end of May stuff is starting to come up in my garden. So April is both the greatest month and the month that marks the beginning of the end.

But I like to get it while I can, and the 'it' is pretty darn good this year. Today I skiied up the Buskin and was amazed to find more snow now than when I skiied up in early/mid March. Fantastic skate skiing on the crust. And bear tracks everywhere. It really is spring. I got home to find crocuses blooming in the yard - the end is near.

Photos: Top photo is the view back from where I came - Pyramid on the left and Buskin lake (where I started) in the distance on the right. It took me only 35 minutes to get to where I took the photo. Middle photo is of Pyramid - I love that mountain. Bottom photo is of the damn crocuses - harbingers of Spring. Patrick

No comments: