Search This Blog

Saturday, July 14, 2007

Weaning Nora

The time has come to wean Nora. Nursing lately has constantly ended in her crying, as she wants to nurse longer than I let her. Even though she only nurses once in the morning, it puts a bad strain on our day to start off with her crying.

I am pleased that we made it to almost 2 years. I think its helped her through many colds, travelling, hard times with greater ease. Many people along the way believed I should have done it sooner. Patrick didn't want me to wean her-he wanted us to make it to two years. It makes me proud to have a husband who is so supportive of breast feeding.

There is serious social pressure to NOT nurse longer than a year in this country. The World Health Organization recommends that every child in the world be nursed for at least 2 years because of the health benefits for the child AND the mom. In our culture it is such a small percentage of kids that are nursed for longer than a year that its not understood by people. I was probably that way before kids, too.

Today is the second morning and it is going well. I give her a bottle with milk, which she likes. It takes her a while to drink, which I think she also likes. She is a gal who takes a while to wake up in the morning.

She and I were both ready for her to wean, I believe.

I don't feel as sad about it as I thought I might. However, I'm still nursing Stuart and plan to for up to 2 years as well. I imagine when the time comes when he doesn't nurse any more the emotions may run higher.

Zoya