Search This Blog

Friday, July 20, 2007

Mainland Road Trip

We arrived safe and sound in Homer yesterday after a 12 hour ferry ride to see Cathy adn Mike. The ferry left Kodiak at 10 PM, and it took a good 45 minutes for Nora to go to sleep in her playpen. I felt so badly, as I couldn't do much to help her get to sleep. She would stand up and see Stuey and I in the bunk and start crying harder. So I opted to sneak out of the room with Stuey for a few minutes until she went to sleep. I went down the hallway to the stairs and I could hear her cries very loudly-it sounded like there was an exorcism going on. :(

I told the people I was talking to, "yes, thats my daughter. Shes in the room with my mommy helper and having a hard time going to sleep." Fortunately once she went to sleep she stayed asleep! Phew. 9 hours later after a smooth crossing, we were in Homer.

Andie Wall, Mike and Christy Wall's daughter, is with me and she is so fun, helpful and easygoing. What a blessing to have her along to help with the kiddos. Today we went out the Homer spit, drove around a bit and went to the library this morning. The library here in Homer is absolutely gorgeous! A fantastic kids section with lots of kid chairs which Nora enjoyed re-arranging and insisting that we sit in. She was less interested in reading the books than she was in taking them off the shelves, stacking them up and re-organizing them.

We'll be here till Tuesday when we head to Seward to see Julie and Ray for 2 days. Then we'll head out on the Kennicott from Whittier-a 24 hour ferry ride home to Kodiak.

The weather is gorgeous here and yesterday I realized that Nora truly is a water girl. We went to the beach and she insisted on wading in the ocean. It took all 3 of us to peel her away. She gravitates to water. My water baby!!!

Zoya