Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

The Garden






It's finally mid July and time to dote on the garden. Still good skiing to be had close to town, but the garden is taking up more and more of my energy (rather whatever energy is leftover after after 'baby wrangling' with Nora and Stu). As you can see the plants are still a wee bit small. You folks checking in from the lower 48 are probably even wondering what I have in my garden to be excited about. You should have seen it 2 weeks ago! It's only in the last two weeks that the garden has finally taken hold and started to kick in. We are finally getting to harvest kale and lettuce and the peas are blossoming.

It has been a cool spring. In years past I have harvested peas on the 4rth of July, and I am usually harvesting lettuce by the 1rst of June. Just not this year. We are about 4 weeks behind my 'normal garden benchmarks'. Last Sunday (the 7th of July) it got down to the mid 30s, and out at the rifle range there was a hard frost! Ice crystals on the shooting tables! So I should be excused if my beets look a might puny right now. Just wait until August - I'll be eating new potatos, beets and a fine salad with the first deer liver of the hunting season. My favorite meal of the year. Patrick

No comments: