Search This Blog

Saturday, January 19, 2013

Coming up for a breath of air

Janet leading the instructors in an indoor cycling workout during the training last weekend. 

The past month has been a whirlwind.
 This afternoon I was able to take a step back, lay on the couch with my feet up for a minute....and be thankful for a fairly commitment-free weekend!

NEW HOURS
I started working at the coast guard base as their physical therapist about 6 weeks ago. 3 mornings a week, I am off in my car at 7:30 to be there by 8am. The 1/2 days on the base fly by and I LOVE the job. I didn't expect to love it as much as I do. I enjoy the group feeling of working in a medical clinic with support staff around, I"m enjoying doing electronic documenting (never thought I'd admit to that!).

And the most important part, I enjoy  my clients. They are airplane and helicopter pilots and mechanics, rescue swimmers and active duty men and women in desk jobs making the whole coast guard system run smoothly. I'm finding a smooth rhythm with my days there, which has been great.

FITNESS TRAINING
Last weekend our fitness instructor trainer, Janet,  came over from Anchorage to do 2 days of training with all the fitness instructors at A Balanced Approach. It went super; we all learned so much from how to fine tune our workouts, new exercises to add into the mix, and ways to make the workouts less intimidating to new members.

One important piece of knowledge I walked away with, (and have begun implementing) is giving "options" during my power flex workout. And demonstrating the "option". So for instance, when I'm leading squats with weights, I present the option of not using extra weight, just using your own body weight. With new people, I demonstrate just using body weight, so someone is doing it with them. I think it really helps the new folks feel comfortable and not hurt themselves.

The  two days were action packed, and boy did I sleep hard the few nights after that! Janet also led a boot camp class where we learned how to set up and run a boot camp program, which was enlightening. I'd like to add a bootcamp class to my instructor schedule 1X a week sometime soon.

LLC
As of Jan. 1, 2013, A Balanced Approach became an LLC. Didn't seem like it would be a big deal, but there were many people to notify regarding it and forms which needed to be re-done, noting LLC after A Balanced Approach. Between the recent  physical move to a new location and becoming an LLC, my office manager and myself have been incredibly busy making sure things are in correct order with insurance companies, tax people, etc.


MORE BIKES!
Today the Bike maintenance guy from Anchorage flew over to put together 3 new indoor cycling bikes, and do maintenance on the rest. Now I"m up to 15 member bikes for the indoor cycling classes, which is great. There have ben 2 or 3 people regularly turned away for the indoor cycling classes so with the bikes hopefully that won't happen so much.  All the fitness equipment is shipped here from Seattle and the maintenance guy comes over from Anchorage quarterly.


Stuey and Patrick built this together - one person had to hold it together while blocks were added - it would not stand on its own until complete (it needed weight on top to hold together).

KIDS
The kids are doing well and Nora has been selling girl scout cookies this past week (girl scout cookies, anyone?!). It is fun to see her be so excited to sell and to work towards a goal! She has also been attending dance class and having play dates with her girlfriends. In the evening or in the morning (as time allows) the kids and I play the game Qwirkle. Stuey is getting a little bit better at not crying if he is losing. Makes game playing much more enjoyable for all of us!


Stuey and a really tall tower.

Jake giving Stuey some company at night.

Patrick as the super-hero 'Copterhead Man'.

One last picture from the helicopter visit - in the background is the large helicopter that goes out to the rig.

Zoya

No comments: