Search This Blog

Saturday, January 08, 2011

Backcountry Cruising






Yesterday it was flat calm and I decided to go skate skiing up into the mountains. The climb up was a bit brutal but once on top glorious. There is a couple inches of powder on top of a hard crust with a thin layer of hoar crystals on top of everything. The hoar crystals glinted in the sun. My pictures do not do it justice.

I ripped about on my skate skiis and the powder snow made it easy to keep things under control. I even did a few tele turns on my skate skiis. But mostly when it got a little scary I snow-ploughed to slow down. The powder also dampened the noise of my clattering skiis and it was kind of cool to glide noiselessly along with the mountains all around and the hoar crystals glinting in the sun. Patrick

No comments: