Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Kodiak Gigapan


Last Thursday I flew to Carnegie Mellon University for a Gigapan training workshop funded by the Fine Outreach for Science. It was awesome. I got the equipment, software, and learned how to make pans like the one from Obama's Inauguration. What is most amazing is that it does not take a super fancy camera to make these pans. I shot this one of Kodiak with a little 9 mega pixel point and shoot. The key to the Gigapan is a 'robot' that moves the camera around to take a grid of zoomed in photos. I think this one of Kodiak represents 180 stitched together photographs. Visit the Gigapan web page to learn more and to check out some other awesome gigapans:
www.gigapan.org
When you look at this panoramic be sure to use the controls on the left to zoom in to look at individual buildings etc - I know that there are even a few people that you can zoom in on, and possibly even recognize. Enjoy! Patrick

2 comments:

Ishmael said...

Interesting effect on the Windmills' blades.

Great technology! I can't wait to see what you shoot with it!

Marnie said...

It's awesome Patrick, except you can't see the museum!