Search This Blog

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Mystery Item in Stuey



Today turned out to be a very interesting day.

The story begins about 6 weeks ago when I noticed a ropey-like feeling in Stuey's right groin--sort of like swollen lymph nodes. Karen was over at the house when I noticed it and I had her feel it too.
She said, "Yeah, I would have it checked out if it doesn't go away in a few weeks."
It never went away. In fact, it seemed to be worsening--coming to the surface more so.
So I took Stuey to Mr. Mete today and he palpated around. He could bring the edge of "it" to the skin-just bizarre looking. Over 2 inches long from end to end.

Greg Mete looked at me and said, "Zoya, there is a foreign object in there."
I was dumfounded.
"No, way." I replied.
It couldn't be. A foreign object in Stuey? How could that be?
I commented, "I hope its not an alien."
Greg Mete laughed and said, "No, its not an alient. But if you want to see one of those I"ll bring in my son."

The immediate course of action called for a trip to radiology for a radiograph.
The radiograph revealed a large needle-like structure in his leg. We then went to the surgeon, Dr. Robinson, who signed Stuey up for surgery tomorrow morning to have it removed.

Since discovering this, there has been speculation by myself, Patrick, friends and family about the object-what is it and how did it get there? Was it from his Neonatal intensive care unit stay after he was born? Or was it from one of his vaccination injections? Several people at the hospital said it looked like a "sewing needle" which I'm not seeing on the x-ray. It is all one length and too long to be a sewing needle. And it just doesn't make sense. I'm 99.9% sure its not a sewing needle.
Once we get the needle we'll have a little more info about a possible source/cause.

7:30 AM tomorrow Stuey goes to have the needle taken out. I bet he'll feel so good to get that out of his leg, and I"ll feel much better knowing its gone.

Zoya

Stuey's radiograph today. You'll see the long pin like structure crossing the top of his right hip. Can't miss it.

2 comments:

Life and Times of the Kodiak Van Clan said...

Wow, you guys must have freaked out! There's never a dull moment with kids around, is there? I'd put my money on "sewing needle". The way it looks on the X-ray, I'd venture to guess he sat on a wayward sewing needle someplace.

Our thoughts are with you.

Wendy & Preston

Coastieturtle said...

It looks way too long (and all one thickness) to be a sewing needle but I guss you won't know until it's out.....good luck.

S.