Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Bathtime, Bedtime, Quilting

Life with kids has a lot of routine to it. I'm not as much of a schedule person as I am a routine person. Some people have their kids down for a nap at the same time every day, or meal times are at the exact same time every day. With my kids, I let the day take shape. Perhaps thats the beauty of being a stay-at-home mom....having some flexibility and variability to the daily schedule.

Lately for bathtime, Nora is INSISTENT that Stuart and I both get in the tub with her. So I do. Sometimes reluctantly, but by the time I'm in there, its fun. Stuey is quite the splasher-big difference from Nora when she was a baby. And Nora sits in the tub saying "more" for more water. When the water gets cold, I have to turn it off and she says more repeatedly until I turn it on again. When she knows what she wants and she sees that its within close reach, she sure persists. At times Patrick and I sigh and laugh and say, "you're being just like Aunt ********" or just like a Saltonstall or just like a Herrnsteen.

Bedtime is going so smoothly with me nursing Stuart to sleep in a big chair in our bedroom while Patrick reads Nora to sleep two rooms over. As I sit in the chair in the darkness with Stuart, I'm able to look over at Mill Bay beach through the window and on nights like tonight I can hear the waves on the beach. Last night we had a major storm and the winds rattled the house and rain/snow spat against the window. Once Stuart is asleep I lay him in his crib with his little teddy bear next to him and the lullaby music playing in the bedroom.

Then its my quilting time. I haven't quilted for 6 months and it is just FABULOUS to get sewing once again. The fabrics, the patterns, the satisfaction that comes from seeing a stack of various fabrics take shape into a quilt. I've said it before and I"ll say it again...I never dreamed I'd be a quilter, but here I am. I went into the fabric store (Just Janes) today to get a small piece I need for my current quilt and I practically drooled over the new gorgeous, contemporary fabrics they have. Various project ideas ripple through my mind and I have to tear myself away from the racks of fabric.

This week Stuart is 10 months old and I believe I may be starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Sleep is actually happening and I have moments to myself now and again.

Zoya

(Note Blogger not posting photos for some reason)

No comments: