Search This Blog

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Stuey Sick


Stuey woke up last night at 2AM sick...and he got sick every couple of hours. Poor little guy. I brought him to bed and let him nurse as he needed-although it made him get sick more. He has been fine since 8 AM and is napping now so hopefully we're in the clear. He had immunization shots on Friday and I immediately thought, "Does this have to do with his immunizations?" Discussions with several friends put me at ease that the two probably aren't related. It is only natural, however, to be concerned about medical things which happen within days of immunizations. There is such a push to immunize children, yet as parents we hear the stories about kids who suffered severe medical problems after immunizations. Its a tough one. I'm just glad Stuey is feeling better.

Today is the last day of Patrick's 14th day of digging at the Baranof Site. Phew. He needs a litle unwind time- a day off. He has been going, going, going....he calculated that he hasn't had an empty weekend since April! Between digs, surveys, trips out east for wedding and reunion. Pretty crazy schedule for someone who benefits from some alone time now and again.

I"m finally feeling back to my normal self-recovered from travelling. Enjoying the sunshine of summer.

I'm looking forward to a trip in July to Seattle to take a Strain Counterstrain Class. This is the same manual technique I learned in March-however this class is on the extremities. The March class was on the spine (back and neck).

Roxann is coming with me to Seattle as well as a fellow therapist in Anchorage. It'll be my first trip away without either child! Wow. I'm still nursing Stuey and expect that there won't be any problems with him resuming nursing upon my return. He is no where close to weaning and its not something I'm ready for either. (At times like this morning when he was sick, there was nothing like nursing to bring him a little comfort AND nourishment.)
But I AM ready for a getaway-without kids!

The Strain Counterstrain technique is so effective, hands-on, and gentle. Its like nothing else I've ever learned. I wake up on Monday morning completely excited to go to work and get people better! My manual work as a physical therapist has never been so rewarding. 9 years into my career I'm more excited than ever. Pretty wild how one class can put a whole new twist on what I have to offer patients.

The photo is totally random, I know. It is my first attempt at re-sizing a photo for the blog. Patrick is at the dig and I'd figured it was a good chance to try it out, as I am always asking him to re-size them for blog use. We'll see how it looks when blown up large on the blog. The photo is from vacation to North Haven, Maine. The kids exploring the tidepool. No, its not Kodiak. Although much of the coast of Maine looks like Kodiak!
Oh, and the Mikes Hard Lemonades are chilling in the ocean. Simple refrigeration technique!

No comments: