Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

More Buskin Lake




A good thing about skiing in the same place every day is that you get to take pictures of the same views, and try and make them better. I think the top photo here is my best yet of the outlet to Buskin Lake. I've been trying for years to get the reflections on the water and snow right. And who's to say I will not get another good one, a better one even?

Today was the best skate skiing I've experienced this winter. It was ski anywhere fast snow. I flew across the lake and up the river on the other side. A couple miles up the river there is a deep canyon, and I skiied another 1/2 mile or so up into the canyon until I got to a frozen waterfall and the pool below it (bottom photo). The waterfall is sort of a winter Mecca to me and I try and get there at least once every year. Today it took me less than a 1/2 hour (even with some some difficulties outlined below).

On the way, in a very narrow part of the canyon, the snow shelf I was skiing on broke off of the rock wall and fell into the river. I ended up standing on the bottom in my skiis in thigh deep water. No problems, but I did not want to get wet again on the way home, and the shelf had been the only dry route on the way in. So when I got to the waterfall I climbed up out of the canyon and skiied home along the rim. The middle photo is the view from the rim down into the canyon with Pyramid mountain in the distance on the horizon.

I flew on on back to the lake and even did an extra lap around the lake. It was so fast a trip that I even with the extra lap I was still gone from the truck less than an hour and a half. Perfect skiing. Patrick

No comments: