Search This Blog

Friday, January 19, 2007

35 Weeks Along-No Bedrest for this Cowgirl!!


Today I had my 35 week appointment....no bed rest thus far. Yeah!!

Top 6 Questions I get Asked:

Are you going to keep breastfeeding Nora when your little guy comes along? Yes, see below...

Is the house ready for Stuart?
For the most part...I do need to move the changing table into our bedroom and buy some newborn diapers, however...

Is my hospital bag packed?
Not yet, on my to-do list, though.

Is Patrick excited about having a boy?
Hmmm...I think so. I think hes in shock at the prospect of having a newborn in our lives in a few weeks!!

Does Nora know about her brother?
I've only started talking about him in the past week. I don't think she has ANY idea what is coming down the pike...

How am I feeling this pregnancy? Am I still comfortable?
Yup, feeling good! See below....

The picture is of Nora nursing on the couch with me...and yes, I'm still breastfeeding Nora. I've discovered how breastfeeding a 17 month old is not terribly common in our culture, as well as planning on breastfeeding both kids. My friends and family have been supportive. The biggest concern/question people have is will Nora get terribly jealous and resentful of the baby?

I was worried too, for a while, until I read a website where 150 moms who were tandem nursing a toddler and newborn reported (for the most part) that nursing the toddler as well as the baby helped ease sibling rivalry between the two. (Patrick's reply to that was, "yeah, but they weren't Saltonstall siblings"). The toddler felt like they were getting what the baby gets. So we'll soon see if thats true. Its all a big adventure!!

Last pregnancy I was on bedrest from week 32-38 (with the last 10 days being hospital stay and then delivery of Nora). Pregnancy Induced Hypertension.
So, needless to say, bed rest has been a concern this pregnancy. I want to avoid it at all costs. My blood pressures have been creeping up a tiny bit, but just enough to encourage me to take it easy (and have Patrick do more diaper changes, he, he, he...)

Patrick has been the baby whisperer lately with getting Nora to bed. Bless his heart. He spends a good half hour with her helping her wind down and getting her to sleep. Perfect chance for me to kick my feet up on the couch. Patrick scores HUGE brownie points every night when he gets her to bed....a few hours of internet time. :) (ZAS)

3 comments:

mpfeffer said...

I wanted to let you know that I've filed a complaint with Google. I though this was a family website; my pastor and I were shocked to see you promoting breastfeeding. The internet is no place for you to be pushing your own social and political views. Please listen to what I'm saying.

Zoya, Patrick, Nora and Stuart said...

mpfeffer,

Don't you understand the many benefits of breastfeeding? Nutritional benefits for baby, health benefits for mom, bonding for baby and mom...I suggest you attend a breastfeeding support group or the annual breastfeeding-a-thon (in the fall at Mill Bay coffee, come early for a good seat) so you can gain a better appreciation of this natural act.
Don't you know? Breast is best!!

Zoya

JohnJ said...

I believe that it's your blog, so you should be able to express who you are. I think breast feeding has been going on for far longer than so-called "organized religion".