Search This Blog

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Addicted to Snow



I believe everybody should have an obsession. I just happen to have a different one for every season. Skiing in winter, archaeology and fishing and gardenning in summer, and hunting in the fall. People who aren't obsessed about something are boring.

I must admit it always gets me down when people in Kodiak complain about the weather. The cold and snow has been a boon to my mood. I believe the extra light from reflection off of the snow also helps. Warm weather is associated with more cloudy and dreary days while cold days tend to be crisp and sunny. I do know that due to the snow I have been getting more exercise. And exercise makes me happy. Can you imagine rain, gloom, brown dead grass and temps in the 40's all winter? Is that what some people are wishing for? A real winter rocks! And if you don't agree then you should move to Georgia, I hear the peaches are in blossom. Eat a peach.

On the weather obsessed side - we did get quite a storm today. Probably a foot and a half of snow at the pass. But rain and 36 degrees in town now. The roads are ice with running water on top. Total mess. And the weather guys predict a change in the weather pattern - warm for the next week or so. Maybe we'll get some snow up high. Hard to believe it got down to 2 degrees just last night.

Anyhow, these two pictures were taken on Sunday after the last storm. (PGS)

No comments: