Search This Blog

Sunday, September 09, 2007

Nana Moments




My grandmother Frieda Bromley, Nana, lives in Massachusetts and turns 100 on September 20.

She always reminds me to enjoy every moment when I talk to her on the phone. And to give lots of hugs and squeezes to the kids. Over the years, her enthusiasm, love and wonder about the world has shaped how I look at the world.

For instance, I remember on a trip out East with her when she was checking out of a hotel room, she left a tip for the housekeeping in an envelope with a note which read, "Thank you for keeping us in tip-top shape!". To this day, I try to leave the exact message on a note to housekeeping at hotels!!!

Ever since I could write, I fell in love with writing Nana letters. She is the best pen pal ever-always writes back right away. Her letters are filled with descriptions of the garden she had, fall foliage, happenings with her local friends/family. Her letters bring sunshine to my mailbox. She taught me the art of letter writing.

She turns 100 and I am 31, so I have known her only since she was 70 years old and beyond. She has always been young to me- and has made 70 young!! :)
I've never lived close to her, but have always communicated via letters and very occasional phone calls. Also- visits which were so treasured. Memories of running around on her lawn finding fireflies, her teaching me how to get the peas out of the pods in her garden, swimming in the ocean with her, eating her delicious brownies with walnuts....the list goes on.

Today I spoke to Nana, and her voice is hard to understand as she is recovering from a small stroke 1 week ago. I could hear Nana though the difficult speech, however. And I'm so glad I spoke with her-even for a moment.
I love her dearly. And miss her.

(The photos are ones taken over the past couple of weeks-relishing the kid moments....something which Nana highly encourages!! :) She has 7 kids of her own!
Stuart checking out the morning sunshine, Patrick with Stuart on the couch and Nora running through the yard with socks on over her shoes-kid leg warmers. )

Zoya

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the picture of Stuart with a big smile. And the picture of Nora with her "kiddie leg warmers" is adorable! miss you guys

Anonymous said...

I love the picture of Stuart with a big smile. And the picture of Nora with her "kiddie leg warmers" is adorable! miss you guys

Zoya, Patrick, Nora and Stuart said...

And we miss you! The kiddie leg warmers are my socks, I figured they'd keep her feet warm. I bet it's warm down in Arizona! Patrick

Sarajo said...

I agree with everything megan said. the kids are getting so big.
I cant wait to see them over christmas break!
i miss hanging out your house.
Well hope things are going well for you all back in kodiak!!
The east coast and i are getting along well.
School is going good too.
well miss you all.
sara