Search This Blog

Monday, September 03, 2007

Chicken of the Sea


I'm not sure where eating fish comes down on the whole global warming thing, but I bet catching your own is better than eating tilapia or some other farm raised abomination (friends don't let friends eat farmed salmon is a popular bumper sticker in Kodiak). I do know that this evening we caught these two chicken halibut using very little in the way of fossil fuels. We did have to drive maybe 400 meters to get the boat into the water, and then to Mike Pfeffer's chagrin the engine did not work. Hey, no problem - or, as I told Mike, 'engines are way over rated'. We paddled on out, set a skate, and two hours later returned with 2 halibut (we lost a third). Not a bad days work. I figure we got 2 months of halibut with the Saltonstall share (7 meals worth, eating halibut about once a week). Not a bad 'surf and turf' Labor day weekend either - goat meat AND halibut. What's amazing is how much meat comes on a halibut - they are practically all meat. With deer and goats only about 40 percent of the total live weight ends up as packaged meat; with halibut the yeild is much higher at around 80 to 90 percent of live weight. Patrick

3 comments:

Theresa said...

Is it wrong to love halibut as much as I do? Lucky, lucky you guys. Well, lots more than luck going into it. What a nice haul. Enjoy!

Zoya, Patrick, Nora and Stuart said...

Halibut is good, but I actually like the small cod better. Most people don't even keep the small 'p cod' and they are tasty and moist! Big halibut are NOT good, but we never seem to get them much bigger than 50 pounds close to shore anyway, and I'd cut the line if we did!

Patrick

Theresa said...

Never had small cod, but I agree that for halibut smaller is better. Moose is like that, too. I find the meat much sweeter and tenderer (is that a word) on smaller bulls. I've only gone halibut fishing twice and was quite happy with the "chickens."