Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Pasagshak in Spring



Yesterday I drove out to Pasagshak for work. Brechan is paving the road and they need my help to make sure they are not damaging archaeological sites. It was sunny in town and all my co-workers were envious of my lark out the roadsystem. I do not think they quite believed me when I told them it was misty and dreery just 30 miles away on the East side of the Island.

On the way there I saw these Trumpeter Swans (not 100% sure of the ID but sure look like it) hanging out with another 7 Tundra Swans on Rose Tead Lake. The swans wintered on Rose Tead, but I also saw masses of ducks and other migratory birds. The spring migration is beginning and kodiak is one of their main way points where they stop and recharge their batteries after flying across the Gulf of Alaska. By early May Kodiak is awash in migratory birds and heaven for serious bird watchers.

I did not find any threatenned archaeological sites and then on the way home I went for a ski at Pasagshak Pass. It was flurrying and whiteout. Driving home Pyramid was clear, and I wished I had not already gone skiing! But I took Nora and the doggies down to the beach instead.

The bottom photo is the beach and community of Pasagshak. This is where many of the out of town guests stayed during Zoya and I's wedding. Yesterday on the beach was a far cry from the halycon days of late August. Patrick

No comments: