Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Parenting Trials





I knew parenting wouldn't be easy. But I thought it would be easier than days like today. The day began with a jolt when the dogs barked at a dog outside and woke the little ones up prematurely. Patrick and I looked at eachother with disgust at the dogs early morning behavior.

I was in the middle of pumping milk for Stuey (and whatever is leftover for the kids in Africa) when Nora came in wanting to nurse. I stalled her a bit and s finally nursed her -she was a bit happier afterwards and more ready to officially start her day.

Stu squirmed and burped after each mini morning feeding, and refused to be put down at all which is unlike him.Gas, I figured. I hand him to Patrick for a few brief minutes to clean up my breakfast, but Stuey quicky escalated intio a scream. Back into mommy's soothing arms.

After I somehow managed to drink my blissful cup of coffee, off I went to take a shower. Nora toddled closely behind me and stood by the shower squaking, screaming pointing to the tub. I knew she wanted to get in with me. I didn't have the energy to bring her in. She came in the shower yesterday and it ended in tears when it was time for us to get out. Lately that has been her new norm for bath time. She hates getting out. I do everything that the toddler books say to do (give them advance notice, have a bath routine, blah, blh blah...) but nothing works. She screams, arches her back and throws herself on the floor in protest. Putting a diaper on her with her in that state is nearly impossible.

The morning continues on that note. A grouchy, uncooperative Nora. I took her totoddler music group which is a bust for her. She is glued on to me and does her sign for nursing over and over. I know it is time to leave at the halfway mark and we slip out. I smile and apologetically say "thnks" to the teacher,Tania, as we leave. I'm glad we went and were able to enjoy a few of her favorite songs together.

While my mommy helper, Megan, was at the house I was able to get spinach pie made for dinner while she fed Stu and Nora napped. Later as I swept the floor I am reminded of how my concept of getting a lot done has changed so much since having kids. Just the fact that I somehow found time today to sweep up the killer dust bunnies which lurked in the corners made me feel like I had accomplished something!

One highlight of my afternoon was teaching my spinning class. Gosh I love teaching. My time away to work out, laugh, see friends.

When I returned from spinning this evening, we enjoyed a good family dinner together.

After dinner, Nora toddles around and does pretend cooking play with the kitchen strainer, bowls and her sippy cup. We sing songs from music group in the kitchen- she moves in a circle as if she is dancing. She jumps on my lap in the rocking chair as I am working to sooth Stu. She sucks away on her binky and her big eyes look up at me. As she smiles, she pokes my nose, and I say "honk". She breaks out into a belly laugh and all of a sudden the trials from earlier today disappear with the evening.


The couch photo were taken as Patrick and Nora watched the red sox game on Sunday. Patrick emptied his first beer bottle and gave it to Nora. She loved sholding the bottle and sucking on the cold glass top. It mde for some photos! Patrick was in red sox heaven as we witnessed 4 home runs in a row for the sox! Zoya